Ezekiel 22:30 - I searched for a man among them who would repair the wall and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land so that I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.
God’s Definition of a Man: a man who visibly demonstrates the complete rule of God and
Lordship of Jesus Christ in every area of his life.
- What is one or two ways you can visibly demonstrate God’s rule in your life? How would others find this impactful?
- How have you differentiated yourself from the mediocre cultural man because of the
Lordship of Jesus Christ in your life?
- Which of the following areas is the hardest for you to give to God, and why?
e. Personal Decision
Matthew 6:33 - Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
- How have you seen your life flourish when you manned-up and put God’s Kingdom first?
Genesis 2:15 – The Lord God placed man in the Garden of Eden to tend and watch over it.
- What has God given you to tend and watch over? What can you do to be more
accountable to these gifts?
Genesis 3:6-9 – Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”
- What responsibility have you avoided that God would be questioning why you haven’t shown up?
- How can you shift from an employee mindset to an ownership mindset for the betterment of everyone around you (which glorifies God)?
- What needs to change in your life so that God would call on you when he is searching for a man to advance His kingdom?
Matthew 20:26b-27 – Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave.
- Who is someone in your life that has demonstrated their greatness based on Jesus’ definition? How have they been great to you?
- An average man would say that greatness is when you win or achieve something for yourself. How have you noticed yourself pursuing the mediocre man’s definition of greatness?
Psalm 8:5-6 – You have made them...and crowned them with glory and honor. You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet.
- List a few things God has placed in your care that He wants you to be great at?
- Which of those things are you doing great at, and how?
Greatness is not when you create your own glory and power, but when you maximize your potential for the glory of God and the good of others.
1 Corinthians 15:58 – work enthusiastically for the Lord
1 Corinthians 10:31 – whatever you do, do it all to glorify God
- How can you glorify God and be great in the following areas?
- at work
- with your family
- with money
- with others
Matthew 10:28, Mark 10:45 – “I didn’t come to be served, but to serve...” - Jesus
- How can you adopt Jesus’ mentality to serve and put others first, instead of be served?
You can be great at everything. Here are 3 ways to start this week:
- What’s one way that you can use your success to show God’s greatness?
- How can you use your best talents and skills to benefit others?
- What other men do you think you can inspire to impact others?
4 Powerful Principles to Seize Every Opportunity
Principle #1: Leave the Past Behind (Joshua 1:1-2)
- You can learn from yesterday; just don’t live in it. What is something you need to say goodbye to?
- Where do you need to take a step into the future God has equipped you for?
Principle #2: Seize Your Inheritance (Joshua 1:3-4)
- Faith means that you believe God so much that you are going to act on what He says. What are you moving forward with in faith?
- Each man’s territory may be different. What territory does God want you to advance?
Principle #3: Focus on God, Not People (Joshua 1:5-7)
- We should expect resistance in our calling. What human opposition are you afraid of?
- What’s one way you can focus on God and overcome your opposition without
disrespecting or dishonoring them?
Principle #4: Stay Tied to God’s Word (Joshua 1:8-9)
- Strength is found in God’s presence. What passage in scripture can you rely on for the battle you’re fighting?
- Have you ever tried to do something your way, and later realized that you should’ve
trusted God’s Word and done it His way? Is that true of anything now?
- What’s one small action that you can make a habit in order to stay close to God on a daily basis?
How to Go from Messed-Up to Blessed-Up
How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways. When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, you will be happy and it will be well with you. Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house, your children like olive plants around your table. Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed. Who fears the Lord. The Lord bless you from Zion, and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life. Indeed, may you see your children’s children. Peace be upon Israel!
Step 1: Fear God
- How is the fear of God evidence in your life personally?
- Proverbs 8:13 - “The fear of the Lord is to hate evil...” Do you have the same attitude as God has about any sin in your life?
- What changes do you need to make to walk in the fear of the Lord?
Step 2: Follow Jesus
Matthew 16:24-25 Then Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
- Is there anything you have felt the need to deny yourself of in your pursuit of Jesus?
- Are there any plans or desires you need to put to death in order to obey Jesus?
- What sin from your life before Christ still trips you up today? What can you do to take it to the cross and follow Jesus?
Step 3: Flow Blessings
According to Psalm 128, when you Man-up and fear God, your life will be blessed. Those blessings are then your responsibility to flow into everyone around you—your wife, your kids, your grandkids, your church, your community, your country.
- Have you limited the blessings you receive by holding them all to yourself?
- What specific blessing have you done really well at flowing to others? Think about how you’ve seen it multiply.
- What blessings have you consumed and wasted all on yourself? Write down a commitment to yourself of how you will FLOW those blessings this week and on an ongoing basis.
How to Be a Family Man
Psalm 128:3 - Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house, your children like olive plants around your table.
Genesis 1:26-28 - Then God said ‘Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness...’ And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
- Who’s been a good image-bearer of God in your life? What is it about them that makes you see who God is?
- Take inventory of your current status as an image-bearer of God. What are you doing well at? What area do you need to grow better?
- What part of your daily routine do you take time to listen to God? If you don’t usually take time to pray, read God’s Word or listen to Him... When can you set aside at least 10 minutes (5 minutes to read the Bible app, 5 minutes to pray and think about what God’s teaching you) on a daily basis?
- What’s the last thing God told you to do? Have you done it? Are you doing it?
- What’s one thing you need to give—or give up—in order to sacrifice for your wife?
- How do you help your wife grow closer to God?
- How do you train and instruct your children to become Godly, mature, responsible adults?
- When and where is the most opportune time to spend quality time nurturing your kids to become image bearers of God?
- Get out your calender and block out specific times to do the following 3 things this week:
-When will I spend personal time with God this week?
-When will I do something to sacrifice, sanctify or satisfy my wife this week?
-When will I intentionally train and instruct my children to be image bearers of God this week?
How to Be Influential
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 - If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come... We are ambassadors for Christ...
Acts 1:8 - But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
- What area of your life have you just been coasting through and not giving much thought about how God wants you to represent Him?
- What’s one thing you could do today to make a difference in the life of someone close to you?
- Have you ever led anyone to Christ? What can you do to be involved in the process of leading another man to Jesus?
- How do you serve and lead others in the church?
- What’s one thing you’ve appreciated the service of others in the church, and how can you become a part of serving/leading others in the church?
- What has been the biggest hurdle for you to be an impact in your community? Is it lack of time or opportunities? What can you do to overcome those challenges?
- Think of one other guy in your community who you want to influence towards Christ. What’s one thing you can do this week to take a step in that direction?
- What younger guy can you mentor, and how? (Think of an area that you’ve done well in or that God has blessed you with, and then think of a younger guy who would want that too.)